Your home away from home

Your home away from home

Friday 14 March 2014

Our quiet winter days

Here in Ovorkhangai Aimag, spring is slowly on its way. Although there is a covering of snow, the temperature is slowly creeping up. But this year, the winter has not been too bad for us. 



Although there are very few visitors, I am still busy in the winter. This is when I make my traditional Mongolian handicrafts to sell in my small shop. I would also like to improve my English but I really need to be in UB to do this and my daughters are at school here in Kharkhorin. 

As I am not having to be always at my ger camp I can visit my friends. 15km from Kharkhorin live Tumee and his wife Jargaa. They are old friends of mine and live near the Orkhon River. I love the countryside of Ovorkhangai - especially along the Orkhon River. Winter is a time when we can visit each other and spend time together.


Tumee wants to offer horse trekking this summer so we have been thinking about safety. Mongolian horses are semi-wild  - they live in herds, led by a stallion who guides the horses to water, shelter and safety. The horses are hardy and adapted to living out in temperatures that can reach -45c, and are able to forage for food in any conditions. 


Here in Mongolia we do not ride mares as they are used for breeding and in the summer are milked  mainly for fermented mare's milk which we call airag.


Before the summer starts and we have  visitors I am going to write a safety guide for our guests to help them feel more comfortable when horse riding. Here are some of our ideas:

  • Always approach Mongolian horses carefully and quietly- they are used to surviving on their own throughout the year and can be surprised by sudden loud movements. 
  • Here in Mongolia, it is normal to keep the reins in only one hand. 
  • Avoid loose clothing that might be flapping in the wind. 
Those are my thoughts this week. My ger guesthouse is open to all travellers. Please just get in touch - I am happy to help and would love to welcome you to my home.

Thank you for spending time on my blog. I will be back soon.


Saikhan Amraarai, Gaya

No comments:

Post a Comment